
So you’re in the middle of interviewing with Company A, and suddenly you got a job application – meaning you received an offer or a strong confirmation from Company B. That’s a great position to be in, but it can also feel stressful. I’ve been there. The key is to pause and evaluate without rushing.
First, look at the offer details: salary, benefits, growth opportunities, and culture fit. Compare that with where you stand at Company A. If Company A is further along in the process, ask for a timeline update. I’ve found that most recruiters respect honesty. You can say something like, “I’ve received another offer, but I’m still very interested in your role. Can we move up the next steps?” This often works.
Here’s a simple comparison table I used last time:
| Factor | Company B (Offer in hand) | Company A (Still interviewing) |
|---|---|---|
| Salary | $85,000 + bonus | Unknown, likely $80-90k |
| Commute | 30 min | 45 min |
| Team size | 15 | 50 |
| Growth | Manager track in 2 years | Unclear |
Table: Quick comparison of two opportunities
Don’t lie or exaggerate. Be professional. If you accept the offer from Company B, then withdraw from Company A gracefully. If you decide to wait for Company A, ask Company B for a few days to decide – most will give you 3–5 business days. In my experience, 70% of candidates who communicate openly get extended deadlines.
Also, trust your gut about the work environment, not just the paycheck. I once took a 10% higher offer and regretted it because the culture was toxic. So take your time, but act decisively once you have enough info.

From a recruiter’s viewpoint, when a candidate got a job application (i.e., an offer) while in our pipeline, I actually appreciate it. It tells me they’re in demand. I’d much rather know early than


